Second Apparition: June 13th, 1917
The day marked for the second apparition, the three children were in Cova da Iria among around 50 people. Right after praying the Rosary the three shepherds saw a light getting closer. There was Our Lady on top of the oak tree, just the same way as she appeared the first time. (read about the first apparition here).
Lucia initiated the dialog with Our Lady:
– What does Your Grace wish of me?
– I want you to come here on the 13th of next month, to pray the rosary every day, and to learn to read. Then I’ll tell you what I want.
– I wanted to ask you to take us to heaven.
– Yes, I’ll take Jacinta and Francisco very soon. But you will stay here for some time. Jesus wishes to use you in order to make me known and loved. He wishes to establish devotion to my Immaculate Heart in the world. I promise salvation to those who embrace it; and these souls will be beloved of God like flowers arranged by me to adorn His throne.
Our Lady, as the first time she appeared, arose with majestic serenity and moved away toward the east.
Third Apparition: July 13th, 1917
It was Friday when the third apparition of Our Lady occurred, and this time more than 2,000 people went to Cova da Iria. The people present there noticed a little grayish cloud over the oak; also noticed that the sun darkened and a cool wind blew, relieving the heat of that summer boom.
After a dialog in which the Holy Virgin one more time asked for the recitation of the rosary to obtain peace, and Lucia interceded for several people who had asked for graces, Sister Lucia narrated an extraordinary fact that has been called the secret of Fatima.
First Part of the Secret:
[Our Lady] opened her hands again, as in the past two months. The reflection [of the rays of light] seemed to penetrate the earth, and we saw as if a sea of fire; immersed in that fire were demons and souls, like transparent, black embers, or tanned with human forms, floating in the fire carried away by the flames that came out of themselves together with clouds of smoke, falling on all sides, like the sparks falling on the great fires. (…). The demons were distinguished by horrible and disgusting forms of frightful and unknown animals, but transparent like black burning coals. ”
Second Part of the Secret:
“Frightened as if asking for help, we raised our eyes to Our Lady, who told us with kindness and sadness:
– You saw hell, where the souls of the poor sinners go. To save them, God wants to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If you do what I tell you, many souls will be saved and they will have peace. The war will be over. But if they do not stop offending God, in the Pontificate of Pius XI will begin another war even worse. When you see a night illuminated by an unknown light, know that it is the great sign that God gives you, that he will punish the world for all its crimes, by means of war, famine and persecutions of the Church and the Holy Father. To prevent this, I will come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart and the restorative communion on the first Saturdays. If my requests are fulfilled, Russia will be converted and there will be peace; if not, it will spread its errors throughout the world, promoting wars and persecutions to the Church. The good will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer, several nations will be annihilated. At last, my Immaculate Heart will triumph! The Holy Father will consecrate Russia to me, and it will be converted, and it will be granted to the world some time of peace. In Portugal, the dogma of Faith will always be preserved.”
Third Part of the Secret:
The third part of the secret remained unknown until June 26, 2000, when it was released by determination of St. John Paul II. Here is the text, written in 1944 by Sister Lucia: “We saw on the left side of Our Lady, a little higher, an angel with a sword of fire in his left hand. As it sparkled, it sent out flames that seemed to set the world on fire. But they were extinguished by the glow that Our Lady sent from her right hand to meet them. The angel, pointing with his right hand to the earth, with a strong voice said: Penance, penance, penance.
We saw also an immense light, which is God, something like how people see themselves in the mirror, when a bishop dressed in white garments. We had the feeling it was the Holy Father. We saw several other bishops, priests, men and women religious climbing a scabrous mountain, on top of which was a big cross, with a rough trunk (…). The Holy Father, before arriving there, crossed a big city, half in ruins and half trembling, with a vacillating walk, exhausted with pain and pity. He prayed for the souls of the deceased he met along the way.
Arriving at the top of the hill, prostrated on his knees, at the foot of the cross, he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired several shots and arrows at him, and so the bishops, priests, men and women religious and several secular people died one after the other. Gentlemen and ladies of various classes and positions. Under the two arms of the cross were two angels. Each one with a crystal watering can in his hands collecting in them the blood of the martyrs and with them watering the souls that were approaching God.”
O my Jesus, forgive us…
The Blessed Virgin then said: “Do not tell this to anyone. You can tell this to Francisco. When you pray the rosary, say after each mystery: O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy” and similarly to previous times, she began to rise toward the east, until she completely disappeared.
Dear reader, do you need prayers? The world needs conversion and it begins in our hearts. Pray the Rosary, do penance! The Virgin Mary will help us with her maternal love. Ask for a Rosary!
Our mission is to spread Our Lady’s devotion to all Christians specially to all Catholics in America. Help us with your Donation!